The Manly Sisters have been performing together since 2004, and have worked with many of the biggest Drag Names in Melbourne.
Conceived at the now defunct Muse Bar in St Kilda on a humid Friday evening in February 2005, popular duo ‘Jack and Jill’ (Jackie Stevens and Jillette Jones) were lamenting the demise of their former three girl troupe ‘The Newbags’ when original cast member Kris del Vayze arrived on their doorstep.
A fresh format and a new name saw The Manly Sisters unleashed onto an unsuspecting public in May 2005 with their first show “Coming Out” at popular drag venue PINK. In the words of audience members for this first show, Coming Out was “fresh, camp and a lot of fun” and “light, comic entertainment”.
The Manly Sisters dressed to impress in 2005!
Jillette Jones, former member Kris del Vayze and Jackie Stevens
Hot on the heels of Coming Out was their first full production show – “Battered Broadway” which opened, again at PINK in September for an eight week season. The future of The Manly Sisters was signed, sealed and delivered and a cult following was soon to develop.
The Manly Sisters and the Showbags Drag Show joined forces in 2007 to create “Drag Aloud”, producing the award winning “The Sound of Music Drag Show” and “Grease The Drag Show”, and also wining a Rainbow awards in 2006 for best Drag Show (Sound of Music) and Best New Venue Event (Spag n Drag Dinner Show @ Templebar Precinct).
In 2008, after parting ways with Drags Aloud, the ‘girls’ once again began producing shows as The Manly Sisters, and continue to bring you the best drag entertainment in Melbourne.
* In 2005, The Manly Sisters were back-up dancers for Pop Star Katie Underwood during two Melbourne promotional concerts.
* In 2007, the girls performed at both the Melbourne International Comedy Festival and The Edinburgh Fringe Festival in Scotland in the Sound of Music Drag Show. This included a performance at the famous ‘Spiegel Tent’ to an audience that included the Australian High Commissioner for the UK.
* In 2008, individual members of The Manly Sisters sisters again performed as part of the Melbourne International Comedy and Edinburgh Fringe festival in Grease – The Drag Show!
* In 2010, The Manly Sisters produced there very own Melbourne Comedy Festival Show – “Annie, The Nanny and a Tranny from Oz” – which continued to run for more than 12 months after the festival finished! The team returned in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
* In 2010, The Manly Sisters appeared on Network Ten’s morning show – The Circle (clip)
* The girls’ have performed at community events such as Melbourne’s Misdsumma festival and for community organisations such as Positive Living and Joy 94.9FM.
* In 2011, The Manly SIsters were the headline act at Geraldton’s GFEST in Western Australia
Check out some old pic’s below…
Back: Amanda Monroe, Jillette Jones, Jackie Stevens, Miss Bunny
Front: Roxy Bulwinkle, Jessica James and Electra Jones
Showbags – The Madonna Show
NYE – PINK 2005 @ The Newmarket Hotel
Jillette Jones, Jackie Stevens and Amanda Monroe
Showbags and Manly Sisters – The Sound of Music Drag Show 2006
PINK @ The Newmarket Hotel
Jackie Stevens, Kris del Vayze and Jillette Jones (as boys)
Showbags and Manly Sisters – Grease The Drag Show
PINK 2007 @ The Newmarket Hotel
Here’s a few pic’s of Jack and Jill (and Miss Hillary Hoyste) in the Newbags – the fore-runner to the Manly Sisters… hidden appropriately at the bottom of this page!
An original Newbags Poster
(L-R) Hilary Hoist, Jackie Stevens and Jillette Jones